Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Women’s Soccer Finishes Deadlocked With Eastern, 1-1

Women’s Soccer Finishes Deadlocked With Eastern, 1-1

DANBURY, CT – After playing to a 1-1 tie against Western New England on Tuesday, the Western Connecticut State University women's soccer team played to yet another 1-1 deadlock on Saturday. This time against visiting Little East Conference cross-state rival Eastern Connecticut at The Westside Athletic Complex on Homecoming weekend. With the tie, the Colonials remained unbeaten, moving to 11-0-2 overall and 3-0-1 in league play, while the Warriors went to 5-5-3 and 3-0-1.

"We hung in there and battled tough. We were just unable to capitalize on some great scoring opportunities," said WestConn head coach Alex Harrison following the contest.

The Colonials outshot the Warriors by a whopping 23-6 margin, while also holding a commanding edge in corner kicks, 8-0. Senior netminder Jillian Fernandez (Columbia, CT) moved to 9-0-1 overall while stopping three shots for the Colonials, while junior goalkeeper Kayla Labrecque (Westhampton, MA) went to 4-3-3 while recording 11 saves for Eastern.

With the game scoreless, WestConn junior Lucy Daniels (Bethel, CT) knocked a header off the crossbar after a corner kick feed from senior Andrea DeVoe (Farmington, CT) midway through the first half. Moments later, Eastern junior Aly Clarke (Mystic, CT) earned her team-leading eighth goal of the season, beating Fernandez to a loose ball in the box and firing a shot into the open side of the net to put the Warriors ahead 1-0 just before the break.

The Colonials struck back early in the second half. Junior Aileen Maloney (Trumbull, CT) was pulled down from behind in the box. She then blasted her sixth goal of the year into the top-right corner on the ensuing penalty kick, knotting the score at 1-1.

WestConn had several opportunities to put the game away in the two extra sessions that followed. One shot bent around the Warriors wall and sailed high as time expired in the first overtime. The Colonials were fouled just outside the box numerous times in the second extra frame, but were unable to tally the game-winner.

WestConn returns to action against visiting non-conference opponent New Paltz on Wednesday at 7 p.m.