DANBURY, CT - Western Connecticut State University men's tennis dropped to 0-2 on the young season despite sophomore Matthew Carino (Sandy Hook, CT) being a double winner. He captured his second-flight singles match against Kevin Weller, 6-0 and 6-2 after he and Jay Kilcourse (New Fairfield, CT) earned a victory at second doubles, over JT Murray and Chris Fiorenza, 8-4.
The Colonials earned their other team point when Will Hogan (Ridgefield, CT) won a tie-break thriller at top-flight solos over Rich Bennett. Hogan dropped the first set, 6-2 before bouncing back to knot the match with a 6-2 showing in the second set. He sealed the victory with a 10-6 decision in the tie breaker.
"Despite the loss today, we played well and have grown so much since we started in January," stated WestConn head coach Shawn Stillman. "We almost pulled out a win at #3 doubles. We are continuing to get better, so it's encouraging."
WestConn plays host to University of Massachusetts Dartmouth tomorrow at 1 pm at Westside Courts.
Tennis Match Results
FDU-Florham vs Western Connecticut
Mar 29, 2019 at Danbury, Conn.
FDU-Florham 6, Western Connecticut 3
1. William Hogan (WCSUM) def. Rich Bennett (FDUM) 2-6, 6-2, 10-6
2. Matthew Carino (WCSUM) def. Kevin Weller (FDUM) 6-0, 6-2
3. John Bricker (FDUM) def. Chauncy Allers (WCSUM) 6-2, 6-4
4. JT Murray (FDUM) def. Jay Kilcourse (WCSUM) 6-1, 6-1
5. Chris Fiorenza (FDUM) def. Jerry Narcisse (WCSUM) 6-0, 6-2
6. Michael LaNeve (FDUM) def. Zachary Ruscoe (WCSUM) 6-1, 6-1
1. Rich Bennett/Kevin Weller (FDUM) def. William Hogan/Chauncy Allers (WCSUM) 8-4
2. Matthew Carino/Jay Kilcourse (WCSUM) def. JT Murray/Chris Fiorenza (FDUM) 8-4
3. CJ Milano/Brendon Urbano (FDUM) def. Myckland Cothias/Mathew Kusaila (WCSUM) 8-7 (7-1)
Western Connecticut 0-2